Start a New Town
Interested in starting a new Town group? Here's what you need to know.
Is my area already covered by a Town group?
- Look up your home address on our Google map.
- Find the Town group closest to your home. Does it take more than 30 minutes to travel to that Town? If not, then your area is already covered by a Town group. You are welcome to apply to be a moderator of that group.
Is my Town eligible for a new Town group?
- The Town where you live should not be covered by an existing Town group.
- There should be at least 20,000 people within a 30-minute radius of your proposed Town group.
- The language of your area must be supported by our site. Freecycle.org is available in these languages: English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Hungarian, Japanese, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish and Turkish.
- Consider starting a Friends Circle instead of a Town group if your community doesn't meet all of these requirements.
What are the next steps?
- When you start a new Town group you must agree to moderate the group. Learn more about becoming a moderator.
- The hardest part of starting a new Town group is attracting members. Unless you have a plan to grow your Town group to several hundred members, the Town group is unlikely to succeed. Read about ways to promote your Town group.
- Consider starting a Friends Circle instead.
- If you're ready to proceed, fill out the StartATown form.